Balsa Wood Project


For my first piece, I chose to create circles out of the balsam wood and attach them with wood glue and pins. These circles repeat throughout the entire sculpture. There is no end or beginning to this piece, which only emphasizes the repetition and concept of infinity. In addition to full circular pieces, I also incorporated half circles to create the appearance of the circles coinciding with one another. the repetition of the material and the shape is carried throughout the entire piece.

Balsa Wood
Pins
Wood Glue


For my second piece, I decided to focus on texturizing the balsam wood with various tools, cuts, and materials. Each side and each element on the piece has a different texture. On one piece, I used a dremel to create circles repeating up and down through the wood. I then used black ink to further show the difference in texture between the smooth, hollow circles and the plain balsam wood. On another piece of wood within the sculpture I used an exact-o knife to carve out wells within the wood. To further the element of texture I used a pencil to push in the wood and make it more rough within these wells. When you flip the piece over, there is a more chaotic side of textures. I used an exact-o knife to cut horizontally and vertically against the wood and then again to create the texture seen there. I added a circular cut-out of the wood with black ink and tape and also added some crumpled paper within the opening between the two pieces of wood. To assemble, I used both pins and wood glue.

Balsa Wood
Black Ink
Tape
Wood Glue
Pins




Comments

Popular Posts